Finland’s easternmost village Möhkö is located in the municipality of Ilomantsi, close to the border of Russia. Möhkö is about 21 km from Ilomantsi village and 90 km from the nearest town Joensuu. The distance from Helsinki is about 540km. The distance to the closest airport is 100 km. The Koitajoki river with its Möhkönkoski fishing areas and outdoors fireplaces runs through Möhkö. The river offers also excellent opportunities for paddling and - of course - beautiful sceneries. Koitajoki river runs both in Finland and in Russia, it meanders in both sides of the border. Some kilometres after Möhkö the river widens, and gets a form of a beautiful lake called Nuorajärvi.
Ironworks were built to refine lake ore in the middle
of wilderness, near Möhkönkoski rapids, in 1850’s.
Together with the ironworks the village of Möhkö
began to develop. Today there are approximately 120
residents in Möhkö village, and it is an active
place for travel and culture in the proximity of
lot of conservation work has been completed in the
Ironworks Museum and its versatile exhibitions,
restored channel with its locks, ruins of blast
furnace and smithy are interesting places to visit. As
to war history, the area hosts unique sights from both
winter and continuation wars.
Koitajoki river with its Möhkönkoski fishing areas and outdoors fireplaces runs through Möhkö.
In summer, there
are many cultural events in Möhkö village. Theatre
Möhkö’s performances, traditional iron
manufacturing using a pig hut, ironworks day and
concerts play an essential role in Möhkö’s summery
The word Möhkö comes from the sami word “mohkki” which means a bend of a river. The Koitajoki river has been an important water route through the times. Möhkö Ironworks were built to refine lake ore in the middle of wilderness, near Möhkönkoski rapids, in 1850’s. Together with the ironworks the village of Möhkö began to develop. At times Möhkö was the largest ironworks in Finland and it employed 2000 people. Thanks to the ironworks, Möhkö grew into a village of 600 people. The factory maintained a shop, a school, a library and a reading room. The ironworks was closed down in 1908. Reasons for that were, for example, the remote location and the falling of the rocky ore prices. A big forest company bought the factory and the forests.